It is the computer software distributed with its source code that can inspect, modify and enhance by anyone and it is also freely available for its users. The user has the ability to make their own version of the program or they can also copy the original program according to their use. It is also known as a free source, anyone can use it there is no license, no fees or no any other restriction on this software.
POPULAR OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE
Some popular examples of open-source software are Firefox, Chrome, PHP, Python, OpenOffice, Linux, and Android there. Operating systems Witness Android and Chrome OS built on Linux and other open-source software.
Firefox- It is an open source web browser developed by the Mozilla foundation and released in the year 2002. On Linux distributions, Firefox is default web browser, and also has extensive user based on the Windows platform.
VLC – Open source to Windows Media Player- In open source VLC has the top position of best media player on Windows 10. It is maintained and flourished by VideoLan. It can be easily used for downloading videos and the best online content.
GIMP – Open source option to Photoshop- It is Created by Spencer Kimball and Peter Mattis, the open source answer to Adobe Photoshop, it can be used for graphics and editors to make some changes in photos image formats. It includes JPEG, PNG, TIFF,etc For Windows 10, Linux, and macOS, GIMP is also available.
Virtual box- It is the hypervisor software allows users to run their operating system easily, it can be Linux or Windows. Other than the open source software can also be used for more platforms.
Chromium- It is the default web browser on the Linux system, many people stuck to Chrome when it comes to Window 10. If you want to fill your proprietary machine with some open source software Chromium can be a great alternative.
Advantages of Open-source software?
- It is not all benefitted to developers but also useful for the users.
- The most important benefit of open source software is, it is totally free and there is no restriction as many as copies you can install.
- It is more flexible than other software and useful to developers who have gone before in order to make intellectual progress.
- In open-source software, bugs are identified and fixed quickly so it considered more secure than proprietary software
Difference between open source and proprietary sources
- Open source software purchased with its source code, while proprietary software purchased without source code.
- In this software, the user can get the open software free of charge, while in other users must pay to get the proprietary software.
- In open source software, the user can modify it, while in proprietary software user cannot modify it.
- In open source software, no one is responsible for the software, while in proprietary software full support from the vendor if anything happened to software.
- Open source software is free to install on any computer, while in other you must have a license from the vendor before installing into the computer.
- Open source software includes Linux, Ubuntu, open office.org write, GIMP, and proprietary software includes Windows Vista, Microsoft word 2007, Adobe Photoshop.
Why Open Source software is beneficial and popular?
- Cost reduction- As there is a lot of budget and investment and in Enterprise planning system but with the open source software, its cost has been reduced. There are no other restrictions or no license fees.
- Quick time to market-User can do the necessary changes and modifications by themselves, without depending on anyone else. It is very quick to market and also decreases the conflicts and it is also known as the source guide for the company.
- Quality improvement- With the open source software, we can easily make the changes according to us, what we need, what our requirements, and improve the quality also.
- Great flexibility- It is more popular because of its flexibility. In Enterprise resource planning system open allows the selection of codes according to the requirement and we can ignore the rest of the codes, which are not needed.
- Innovation with rapid pace- It is very simple and can easily be understood and learned with some software programmes and does not require any formal training.
- Broad perspective- As compared to other perspectives, open source software has more popularity, because in this software there is no dependency on others, the company can make changes itself only.
- Integration and customization- The business who does not afford high EPR, can easily download this software from the internet. This software is more beneficial for small and medium-sized businesses.
Where it is useful and how?
- For blogging and social networking, Mahara is an open source e-portfolio and place to collaborate.
- To publish anything WordPress is an open source blog publishing application which can also be used for content management.
- For learning, communication and collaboration, Moodle is an open source for students.
- Ubuntu is an operating system built by the experts and developers of worldwide. It contains all the necessary applications you need like: a web browser, media app, office suite, instant messaging and many more.
- Ubuntu is the edition of 9.10 server. It enables WordPress to serve web pages and database to teachers and students.
Conclusion: Slowly and gradually Mxicoders working on getting the top open source software. Our company is creating something different to try to provide a top open source website. To get things easily done and download open source software, and the application having a lot of links. The sites are having following categories like project hosting, directories, etc. by regularly updating those lists. Therefore, it is recommended that using open source software provides various advantages and it saves our time with the reduction of cost, and no restriction and any other license fees. Now-a-days most of the companies and institution using this open source software.